New York City
November 8, 2018 - Reading time: 6 minutes
Recently spent the weekend in NYC for the first-ish time! Just documenting this for my own reference; I barely took any pictures.
- I had a bad service experience with UP/Presto...
- Apparently my nose is not attuned to the smell of ur|ne in the subway?
- Friedmans: Got the mac n' cheese (fortina, parmesan), ginger carrot soup, and sauteed spinach (raisins, pine nuts)! The mac n' cheese was very cheesy, just the way I like it!
- LINE FRIENDS store: I was sad that most of the Sally merchandise was sold out/gone already. I was able to grab a few items, but much less stuff than I thought I would exit with!
- Roberta's: got a pretty regular pepperoni pizza; nothing too special
- Joe & the Juice: I got a very $$ smoothie called YOUNG BLOOD (celery, Lemon, apples) but it was good and made me feel "healthier"
- Carnegie Hall: the main reason I went on this trip was to catch the Joe Hisaishi Studio Ghibli concert at Carnegie Hall. I have to say that I was disappointed at the acoustics in the hall, given that I could barely hear the soloists (vocal or instrumental) over the regular symphony. There were also parts in the playing that sounded slightly off/like mistakes? I've been to TSO quite a few times and never experienced anything bad. The Joe Hisaishi show probably the highest density of east asians I've seen packed into a theatre!
- Alimama: I got a match mochi donut (it has matcha coated rice krispies on top), it reminded me a lot of jin deui!
- Xi'an famous food: I got the stewed oxtail hand-ripped noodles in soup. The soup was very good! I think I prefer thinner ripped noodles for my own preferred noodle-surface area to soup-ratio though.
- Karaoke Boho (Orchard): there was no (visible?) way to adjust the volume of the music of the karaoke video/song vs. our microphone, so the overall experience was lackluster. Best part of this was meeting up with an old artist friend, Nou!
- Loring Place: we shared the BBQ chicken (roasted brussels sprouts, apples, and mustard), Peking Duck (with turnips, carrots, and spicy quince-apple chutney), and the roasted short rib (horse radish gremolata and potato puree), all very delicious! I also got a celery ginger (iced team, mint) drink. Gotta fool myself into being healthy.
- Chelsea Market: met up with Nou again and wandered around, including a pop-up watch/timepiece show, and the artist flea market!
- Num Pang Kitchen (Chelsea Market): I got the lemon grass braised beef short rib on jasmine rice, super delicious! The beef just fell apart with a few pokes from my fork!
- The Highline: a former elevated freight rail line railway that was turned into a community space/public park. The weather was very nice for a walk, and the flowers/plants were still blooming!
- Paper Presentation: Went to Nou's favourite stationery store...so much paper and craft supplies! I could make ALL THE THINGS!
- Books of Wonder: dropped by a cute children's book store and it just so happened that Eva Chen was getting ready to do a autograph/reading session for her book Juno Valentine and the Magical Shoes.
- Le Pain Quotidien: stopped in to drink more "health" into my body, aka the super green (kale, celery, cucumber, pineapple, lemon, apple, ginger and mint)
- Ichiran: most expensive ramen I've ever had in north america, but I enjoyed the level of customization that I was able to do. I got a rich broth, and it was great.
Today's music post: The Last to Know by Faith No More.